Monday, August 4, 2008

Naive Mommy

Not many pictures to share from this last weekend. I attended the Beth Moore simulcast Friday & Saturday. It was great. She is a great Bible teacher that has been blessed with the ability to make it seem as though you are in the room with her alone, and she is speaking directly to you. I felt greatly rejuvenated afterwards.

The rejuvenation was much needed because on Sunday I tried to start getting ready for a consignment sale that I am putting stuff in in September. Here is a picture of how my living room looked most of Sunday.

Just the sight of the mess in this picture makes my stomach ache! I thought that I was going to have a full blown panic attack before I got it straightened out and either packed up or put into stacks to tag for the sale. I was OVERwhelmed!!!

I will add a few pictures of a few of Morgan's new favorite things. This is one. Mama birdie looking over her babies in the nest over one of our gutters.


Here is the very top of one of the babies heads. They are getting big now. Morgan will be so sad when they spread their wings and fly out of their nest. I need to start preparing her.


The other is big girl puzzles. I had naively thought that Morgan would have no interest in these, as any structured activity such as CandyLand or puzzles used to just throw her completely over the edge. Here lately I have realized that I have set boundaries for my little one in my head that she is breaking through daily without me knowing....then she just surprises me all of a sudden. I know that Morgan knows many of her letters and how to spell and write her name. I had no clue that she knew numbers by sight too, till the other day. We went by a Mobil station and Morgan very candidly said, "Look Mommy there is a M." I said good job baby. She responded with, "And an O and a B and an I and a 1." Ha, close enough. I almost had to pull over. She doesn't know L yet so the L is the sign quickly became a 1. That is one of the first times that I realized I really shouldn't put limitations on my little one. I mean look how far this one has come in 1 very short year. I mean nothing, and I do mean nothing that she accomplishes should surprise me.

Ah, can you tell that I am proud of my smart cookie?? Anyway, I got her a puzzle and she very quickly showed me what she thought of my pre set limitations.....


When she found her first 2 pieces that fit I erupted into cheers, again naive. She looked at me like, what a crazy Mommy I have. She must have thought that it was fun though, because for the first 3 or 4 times that she put a puzzle together she had herself a little party every single time that she put 2 pieces together. It was so cute. We had lots of victory dances that day for sure.

What a naive Mommy I am. I will have to remember to always set the bar high so that my little one always has something to strive for instead of feeling stifled by the limitations she might feel coming from her silly Mommy!

p.s. Go check out Bella's Bites on my Blog List. It is the site of one of my close friend here at work. She has a very adorable little girl Bella and she just started blogging.

7 comments:

Caron said...

OH MY GOSH, Mel... you are living my life!!! I went to the same simulcast! Well... half of it at least. I am on the Women's Ministry team at my church and we hosted the event. I got to go on Friday night, but had to miss Saturday as my sitter did not show up that morning. Oh well... it was good from what I saw though.

And like you...I too am getting clothes on hangers, tagging, etc, etc, etc, to get ready for the Kidsignments sale. Which sale are you doing? I am shocked at the number of clothes my kids have worn! Tons of it is brand new... I just have so much it was overlooked! Consigning is a lot of prep work, but I LOVE A BARGAIN and kids clothes so consignment sales are right up my alley!! Morgie is always dressed just precious... I bet you'll do great!! You'll have to stop by Kidsignments...it starts on Tuesday the 19th and runs until the 23ed. I can't wait!!!

Caron said...

Oh, and did you catch yourself wondering how in the world Beth Moore gets her legs so thin??? I couldn't help but let my mind wonder... LOL!!

Melanie said...

Caron, I can't stop myself from wondering how she looks so good all the time. She looks wonderful. I think that she is the best teacher ever and she told more of her testimony Saturday than I have ever heard her speak on before. It was great.

Me & Angela (party of 5) are doing the First Methodist Church's consignment sale here in Cumming. But, both of us are coming to the Kidsignments sale on Tuesday. It is both of ours first time coming. We can't wait & it will be my B-day too! Bring on the bargains!!!

Misty said...

What smart girl Morgie is! This should remind you of what a huge difference you are making in her life! She is one lucky girl. Thanks for posting about Bella Bites. This is so addicting!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mel what were we thinking. We should have gotten together and just worked all day helping each other get everything ready. I am up 147 items on my inventory list....ONLY 53 MORE ITEMS to hang, price, tag and throw on the stack. I have to agree with Caron. I love a good bargain. What has happened to me?? It must be motherhood.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I will see you and Angela at Kidsignments! I really hope I can make it there.

Anonymous said...

I agree Ang. We have to be 2 of the thriftiest people I know! But then we kinda always have been. I am SO jealous. I haven't even started the tagging process yet....so I get to look forward to another mess when I do get to start that! UGHHH!!! I need to take a day off to do this.