Monday, October 29, 2007

Little Miss Cutie goes to school!!

Today was a BIG day for my "Little Miss Cutie." Today Morgan started a special needs Pre-K class at Coal Mtn Elementary. After about a month of testing we finally got her qualified under emotional needs. It is a great program. They teach at a 4 year old level so she will be learning to read also! I was hesitant at first, but I went and observed and was so impressed that I couldn't wait to get her in!

Here is a picture of Morgan in her "Little Miss Cutie" shirt and big girl backpack all ready for her first day at big girl school.
Morgan has been having a hard time the last three weeks. She is increasingly struggling with controling her emotions. The fleeting visits with her mom have been getting harder and harder on her. Now, she knows where she is going before she gets there and starts saying that she doesn't want to go. It is heartbreaking to have to make her go knowing that she is going to end up crying the entire time that she is there.

Morgan had a great day today after three long torturous weeks of emotional breakdowns. She got a great report from her school and she even answered detailed questions about her day, which she has never done before. She had me cracking up!

Everyone give it up for my Cutie! I am so proud of her!

11 comments:

Angela said...

That is great. It is good to hear that she had a good day at school. Maybe this change in enviroment is what she needed.

Anonymous said...

Oh how hard that must be on the both of you. I'm so sorry and I'll keep praying for y'all.

She looks so cute all ready for school.

Christie Ingram said...

Melanie,

You will be so glad you put her in! I used to teach DDK, which is the next class after pre-k, at Settles Bridge. She will love it! I guess you worked with Kristi Quinn? She is my sister-in-law! Small world!

Anonymous said...

Christie

I just can't wait to see what this program will do for Morgan! That was the first time that I have met Kristi, but I see Lisa & Scott all the time. They had both of my cousins foster kids Cheyenne & Isreal before they got them. And Phyllis has Cheyenne's bio brother Jacob! It truely is a small, small world!

Anonymous said...

She is the best lookin' kid in school! Love her shirt.

Glad she got a great report!! you go, morgan! :)

Anonymous said...

Talk about small world. I'm related to Scott & Lisa. Scott is my dad's first cousin. Glad to hear that Morgan is starting pre-k. I hope she enjoys it.

Caron said...

I'm so sorry she has been so sad about her visits. I can't imagine how heartbreaking that must be on both of you! It just seems that if the mom cared at all and could see what she was causing Morgan she'd get her act together.

So what is the status? How soon could she have to go back to her 'mom' if you can even call her that? I just wish that cps could see what it does to her and take that in to consideration. Sorry if I am being too opinionated here, but this is a child we're talking about... a child who is happy and stable and LOVED being with you. Sometimes I wish I was in charge...LOL!

She is always so precious and happy (and dressed so adorably I might add) on your blog and it speaks tons for what you are doing for her.

Glad she's liking her new school!!

Heather said...

I'm so glad it went well today. I hope it continues to do so.

Tara said...

Congrats to Morgan on a great start at school. I hope things get easier for you both!

Chris said...

She looks so proud in that picture! GO MORGAN! I can't imagine how hard those mommy visits are for both of you.
Hope Morgan has a fabulous Halloween!

Kimmie Kay said...

HOORAY for Morgan, she really is "Little Miss Cutie". That's so wonderful that she's adjusting to school. I hope it continues to help her...what a positive thing for you both! :)