Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Cookie Anyone???


A couple of months ago when Madison left it was a really bad time for all of us. Morgan didn't take all of the changes very well either. I have been bereft at something that will work to tame her. She pretty much loves time-out, she actually puts herself there when she gets upset to calm down! Taking away toys only works every once in a while. At school, even the loss of afternoon treats doesn't seem to bother her at all. I had asked the therapist about a rewards chart and she basically told me that I was nuts that Morgan was too young to understand that, in a very demeaning tone I might add! Well, I decided last week that I was at my wits ends and was going to try just a simple chart and see how it went. Very simply if Morgan is good at school and when she gets home ( this means no throw down tantrums basically) she gets to pick a sticker out of a big book and put it on the chart. After 5 stickers she gets a reward. The first reward was making Mickey Mouse cookies. Let me tell you something girls.....Morgan understands this chart!

Every night it is the highlight of her evening to go to the chart and talk about how we have been that day and then pick out her own sticker. She LOVES it! And she knows what she is working for too. Last night she got her 5th sticker so tonight she got to make her cookies. She was so excited. I just got the kind that you tear off and bake, but they had Mickey Mouse confetti on them and she was thrilled.

The finished product.
Needless to say she loved them. Since I had the camera I couldn't resist taking these next few. Morgan has begun to be very loving. At least once every five minutes she runs to you and hugs and kisses you and tells you that she loves you. When she can't get to you this is what you get....
The start of a big kiss.....

Followed by a BIG hug!!
But she saves the best part for last (as if it could get better, right??). Then she says,
"I sure do love you Mommy!"
Oh my sweet baby, my cup runneth over,
I love you too!!!!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Very cute. I am glad the chart worked and hope it makes for better times.

Anonymous said...

Girl- you are a genuis!! great idea with the chart. i may have to do this with Joe. I have been at my wits end with him lately. I really think it's the age of 3. at least that's what i keep telling myself. age 3 has been waaay harder for us than 2 was.

Those cookies look delicious! Morgan did a great job. and i know i always tell ya this, but i know a mama never gets tired of hearing it-Morgan is absolutly stunning looking!! She seriously has some of the most beautiful eyes i have ever seen.

Y'all have a great wednesday! :)

Caron said...

That therapist is nuts! Allie is almost exactly Morgan's age if I remember correctly and she has a chart in her classroom at school and she totally understands it! Hers is the same as yours... after 5 stickers she gets to go to the treasure box. She can even tell you what number sticker she's on. Kids are so much smarter than you think... you gave Morgan credit where credit was due. You totally know her better than the therapist and know what works best. So glad it is working!

Oh, they also have a traffic light school aide poster for behavior. They use clothes pins and all start on green. If a child gets a warning, they have to move their pin to yellow, another they go to red. Allie LOVES this and is obsessed with staying on 'gween' She's even started drawing them. Like I said... kids are smart!

Anonymous said...

Morgan is looking so much like a big girl these days! What a great system, and I'm so glad you didn't listen to the therapist and went ahead and tried it yourself. Each child is different and most of the time parents know best.

Noah's mommy said...

She's so sweet! I think the chart is a great idea. Every parent knows what works for THEIR child. Great job, mommy! Morgan seems to be blossoming!

Anonymous said...

Glad you tried the chart. Supernanny saves the day again. The therapist probably does not have any children of her own. Glad she is doing better!!

Tara said...

Those are great pictures. Morgan is so beautiful. Glad the chart idea worked out. I will file that away for when Evan gives me payback for being a good baby.

Kimmie Kay said...

Great pictures, she is such a doll! Just goes to show you Melanie, that Mom knows her girl best! I think it's great that she responds so well to the chart, I did this when my kids were younger too...whatever works, LOL!

Chris said...

I love this post Mel. First of all I'm so glad you did it anyway. MOM KNOWS BEST! Morgan is one smart cookie...no pun intended! LOL! That was a great reward idea. I'm glad that is working for you and I have to agree with the girls...she's GORGEOUS! HOw old is she again? I have to know when I can start that with Lindsay!

Melanie said...

Chris Morgan is 3 now. She just got her second treat tonight, an ice cream cone! She gets so excited it is hilarious!

You girls are all right. You should always listen to your Mommy instinct about your kids!